I love my Trek family so very, very much. As I have said before they are perhaps the only reason that I had a good Trek experience at all. They were so supportive of me when I could barely walk and was crying because of how sick I was even though they had no idea what I was going through. We all clicked so well, and really were like a family. I have never felt so close to a group of people in my entire life. I woke up this morning to my quiet room without my family around me and felt so lonely.
I will be writing a lot about Trek, just to let you know, also. Since I was sick pretty much the whole week I can barely remember it at all. The symptoms of hypoglycemia include blurred vision, lack of concentration, and shakiness all of which result in impaired memory. I pray that I can remember all of my experiences vividly, and will be writing them all down so that I will never forget them.
My family consisted of:
Sheila: Sheila was so amazing to me. I don't think she'll ever know what an inspiration she is to me. She wants to be just like Nephi, and I want to be just like her. Not in a poser-y kind of way, in a I'm trying to be like Jesus kind of way. She was always so optimistic, it was crazy to me. She was *always* smiling. She made time in each day to read her scriptures that were organized and almost every single verse was marked in some sort of way or color. She was so spiritual and nice to everyone. She made everyone feel welcome and included into our family. She was easy to get along with and crazily focused on what she wanted for her life and strove for it with her whole heart. She found everything amazing and beautiful.
Hannah: Hannah was like my older sister. I felt like she protected me and understood me. She was always singing and pushing her weight on the cart. She was a ridiculously good singer, too, and she would get us started on the As Sisters In Zion/Army of Helaman which would make the journey less horrible. She kept us singing while we walked, and walked, and walked.
Deanna: Deanna was so funny and honest. I felt like she was a genuine soul, like whatever she did or said was really her personality shining through. Whenever she told a story, even if it was embarrassing or anything she was smiling and joking around. I loved how she wasn't afraid to appear "blonde" which made her seem the complete opposite of ditzy, but true and unafraid to ask questions no matter how silly they may sound. Deanna is such a sweet person and soul.
Jesse: Holy freaking crap, Jesse is a beast. He was like this gentle giant that pushed our cart basically the whole 21 miles that we walked up hills and valleys, and I'm not kidding. And he never once complained; when we were stopped resting still on the trail he'd always say, 'Can we go now?' eagerly, not whiny. I was like, dude! How can you not possibly be tired?!
Jackson: I think I was one of the only people who really thought that Jackson was hilarious, but all of the responses that he had to things that people said were so funny to me! I don't know why nobody else really laughed at them, and it's not like he was trying to be funny or anything, they just cracked me up. Like when Christian said 'People in Africa would die to eat that food that you are throwing!' and Jackson said 'Um, people in Africa would die because they're not eating that food that you're throwing...' and I laughed so hard. Jackson was pretty quiet at first around the family, but he is an *amazing* country singer. I don't even like country that much, but when he's famous I'm going to buy his CDs and go to one of his shows and be like, hey remember me? I'm your Trek sister! And now you're famous!
Christian: Christian was like a real brother to me because he got kind of obnoxious. He was really funny and random, though. He gave the *best* back massages, too. He was the one who was always working on making sure that our handcart was packed well, and that nothing would fall out, and everything fit nicely and perfectly. He worked so hard on it, it was kinda crazy. I loved his testimony, too. It was so amazing.
John: John was like an actual brother to me, also, except the fact that he wasn't obnoxious. Which I don't know how that makes him like my actual brother, but that's how it felt. John was really funny and always smiling. I don't think I ever heard him complain, he was just always ready to go.
Scott[y]: Scott never ceases to amaze me. He was such a gentleman, as were all of my brothers and all of the guys on Trek. It was crazy to me how some of the guys wouldn't go into the port-o-potties if there were a girl standing in line behind them. I had to *convince* Scott on the way back to the Mount Vernon Stake Center to switch from the uncomfortable middle seat to the window seat. Scott was always the one bursting out in perfectly-timed movie quotes or lines of songs. He made the journey much more light-hearted and fun. He impressed me quite a lot.
Corey [Texas]: Corey wasn't even in either of the Mount Vernon Stake or Bellingham Stake. He lived in Texas [hence the nickname, Texas] and used to live here. Apparently they don't have Trek in Texas.. Anyways, Corey was probably one of my favorite siblings. I felt like when I talked to him he was actually listening and genuinely interested or concerned. And, like Scott, he was a gentleman. Corey was defiantly one of the quieter siblings, but I felt like he understood the jokes I made. Corey's testimony was my absolute *favorite* out of everyone in our company's, and it was a close race. It was close to mine, and I felt like I could understand it and he could understand mine.
Brother and Sister Mathews [Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa]: Brother and Sister Mathews were the best Trek parents anyone could ever have. They helped us all, and encouraged us onward. They both helped us all so much, with the cooking and everything. They told us how they wanted to help us pull our cart so badly, even though they weren't allowed to.
I love my Trek family so very much. It's hard to think of my life less than a week ago before I even met any of them. They brought such a spirit to Trek that I love. It's weird to think that less than a week ago my whole life pretty much changed perspective. It seems like those four days were so much longer, like we spent an eternity in that 'canyon' together.
[[I had this song stuck in my head all of the very last day of Trek. It's not *really* about what I want it to be, but if you try really hard you can make it pertain to this situation; especially the chorus and especially especially during testimony meeting during which I *still* had it stuck in my head]]
[[Actually now that I listen to it and read the words at the same time, this song really does fit, but looking back at my life *before* Trek, and now after]]
Save Me
by Queen
It started off so well
They said we made a perfect pair
I clothed myself in your glory and your love
How I loved you,
How I cried...
The years of care and loyalty
Were nothing but a sham it seems
The years belie we lived a lie
I love you 'til I die
Save me, save me, save me
I can't face this life alone
Save me, save me, save me...
I'm naked and I'm far from home
The slate will soon be clean
I'll erase the memories
To start again with somebody new
Was it all wasted,
All that love?
I hang my head and I advertise
A soul for sale or rent
I have no heart I'm cold inside
I have no real intent
Save me, save me, save me
I can't face this life alone
Save me, save me, ooooohhhhh...
I'm naked and I'm far from home
Each night I cry I still believe that I
I'll love you, 'till I die
Save me, save me, ohhhhhh, save me
Don't let me face my life alone
Save me, save me, ooh...
I'm naked and I'm far from home
No comments:
Post a Comment